TOWN OF GATES HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT
Highway Superintendent – Kurt Rappazzo, P.E.
Message from our Highway Superintendent, Kurt Rappazzo
On behalf of the Town of Gates Highway Department, I would like to welcome you to the Town, and make you aware of some of the services our department offers. The responsibilities of the department vary and include: snow and ice control, pavement maintenance and repair, street signage, curbside collection of brush, fall leaf collection, maintenance of storm sewers and drainage channels and maintenance of all highway equipment.
Specific Services provided by the Highway Department are listed below.
Weekly Pickups: Spring, Summer & Fall
- Brush / Shrubs (Piles), Tree branches 6-8 ft. lengths (please make sure they are all pointing in same direction) Usually Starting Apr. 1st (weather dependent)
To obtain your collection day, please search your address on our street pick up page: https://www.townofgates.org/street-pickup-schedule/. In order for Highway personnel or equipment to pick up items listed below, please DO NOT put any of the following in bags or garbage pales or barrels
Pickup of items below may not be picked up on your designated day but will be picked up within the 5 business days as a different vehicle will be needed. To assist us in removing your debris sooner please click on link https://www.townofgates.org/report-an-issue/
- Clean wood (no nails or bent over to prevent injury) 4 ft. lengths- NOT WOOD FURNITURE
- Dirt (Small piles), Sod, Small Stone, Sand (Small piles)
- Concrete & Rocks (loose piles -at end of driveway or easement (between sidewalk/street))
- Un-bagged Leaves (Fall season only – beginning November through December. Schedule for leaf collection varies and make efforts to obtain weekly, weather and volume permitting. After this time please bag them for your normal garbage company to pick-up.)
*** PLEASE NOTE: If you ( the resident) contract with a PRIVATE tree removal service it required by Gates Town Code Chapter 133-5 B.5(C) Property Maintenance and Chapter 155- Solid Waste Management of the HIRED CONTRACTOR to properly remove & dispose the said material **** You may be subject to a fine or penalty.
Highway Department DOES NOT pick up:
- Electronics (TV’s, Computers, Radios, etc.) Residents must dispose of them by bringing them to recycling facility. (Please refer to https://www.townofgates.org/phone-numbers/ for electronic recycling places or contact your refuse company.)
- Furniture (Couches, Love seat, Chairs, Mattresses, etc.)
- Appliances (Refrigerators, Stove/Oven, Washers, Dryers, etc.)
- Grass (Your local garbage company will)
- Paint or other Household Hazardous Waste
- Construction Debris / Building Materials (Drywall, Siding, Cabinets, Roof Shingles or Tile, etc.)
One time a year pickup (usually 1st week in May)
- UN-mounted Tires (2 per household)
Please complete the online submission to report any issue(s) to our Highway Department. https://www.townofgates.org/report-an-issue/
Free Mulch!*** PLEASE NOTE: the available, quantity of mulch, varies***
Residents may collect and enjoy the free mulch located at the Highway Building, 475 Trabold Road, Rochester, NY 14624, between the Spring and Fall season. You do not need to call ahead.
In the winter, snow and ice removal is done by our highway crews. Should your mailbox be damaged during snowplowing, it is the Town’s policy to replace it with a standard rural mailbox with wood post only.
Only Rain Down the Drain!
Help protect Storm water, a natural resource, from pollution. Do our part; if you see a pollution problem, immediately call us at (585) 247-6100 ext 247. Learn more about reducing storm water pollution, visit the H20 Hero website: www.H20Hero.org .
The Highway Department is located at 475 Trabold Road, Rochester, NY 14624. All calls go to the Town Hall receptionist as there is not an attendee located at our Highway Department facility.
Please contact us at:
- Highway Department: (585) 247-1044
- Town of Gates-Main: (585) 247-6100