The Highway Department is managed by Highway Superintendent Kurt Rappazzo. The responsibilities of the department vary and include: snow and ice control, pavement maintenance and repair, street signage, curbside collection of brush, fall leaf collection, maintenance of storm sewers and drainage channels and maintenance of all highway equipment.
Specific Services provided by the Highway Department include:
Weekly Pickups: Spring, Summer & Fall
**** In order for Highway personnel or equipment to pick up items listed below, please DO NOT put any of the following in bags or garbage pales or barrels****
*** PLEASE NOTE: If you ( the resident) contract with a PRIVATE lawn or tree removal service it is the responsibility of the HIRED CONTRACTOR to properly remove & dispose the said material as required by Gates Town Code. Chapter 133-5 B.5(C) Property Maintenance and Chapter 155- Solid Waste Management**** You may be subject to a fine or penalty.
- Shrubs (piles) , Tree branches 6-8 ft. lengths (all pointing in same direction PLEASE)
- Clean wood (no nails) 4-6 ft. lengths
- Dirt (small piles), Sod, Small Stone, Sand (small piles)
- Concrete & Rocks
- Leaves -UN-bagged (Fall only – Beginning October thru Thanksgiving) If weather permits leaf season pickup may be extended. After this time please bag them for your normal garbage company to pickup.
- Plain Wood Furniture ONLY
- Metal – Appliances
One time a year pickup (usually in 1 day in May)
- UN-mounted Tires (2 per household)
Items that Highway Department does not pick up:
- Electronics (TV’s, Computers, Etc.) Residents must dispose of them by bringing them to recycling facility. (See “Additional phone numbers” in section below of this page for electronic recycling places or contact your refuse company.)
- Furniture (Couches, Love seat, Chairs, Mattresses, Etc.)
- GRASS (your local garbage company will)
- Paint or other Household Hazardous Waste
Please complete the online submission to report any issue(s) to our Highway Department .
Please note **All calls go to the Town Hall receptionist as there is not an attendee located at our Highway Department facility.**